Today I saw people; waking up and eating breakfast, driving, voting, sitting in class, walking, and lying down......dead. Today I woke up and ate breakfast and ran down to vote before getting to my 8am class, then I left that class a few minutes early to go to an extra credit assignment for my Anatomy class, I saw dead people! I went to an Autopsy! My sweet Husband will NOT listen to my excitement and if it rolls your stomach you can quit reading this post.....right now.....
I witnessed an 83 year old man who met his maker from a car accident. He did a u-turn in front of a semi and needless to say ended up in the morgue. I have had the experience a few times in my life to see people who have died and so I feel pretty comfortable around death. I don't like death mind you, but I am comfortable around the bodies. They are no longer people, it is just a holding vessel for a spirit that has returned to our Father in Heaven. So yea not stomach hurling for me. When Rich died I was able to seperate myself from the fact that HE was not there anymore and I was seeing the body that once was his, and when my grandpa died I was there for his last breath, and was home alone with my sister, we were both under 10.
So I knew that this "body" wouldn't phase me, but I was still unsure of the "cutting" part, and if I was somehow not going to be able to stomach that for being a nurse, get out while I still can I guess. I was psyched and totally the most relaxed one in the class, given my history. The moment of the first incision and the smell got me the most, probably the endorphines running amuck, and then I was fine, I was front and center, and it was just the smell death does not smell pleasant, but it is nothing I can't compare to with having a house full of males either, so not too bad.
At the end, I asked the doctor and his assistant if I could put on gloves, and they said "yes" I was so excited, I mean to learn about the body is one thing but to witness and touch one is different. held a human heart, I felt the air bubbles in his lungs, the textures of the brain! It is AMAZING! To see and feel what is living in your body is a experience I am proud to say I have had. During the autopsy I would hear, or see things that reminded me of thanksgiving, and made it less traumatic, we will see if my thanksgiving will be any different from here on out though. I saw skull dust as they were sawing into the skull and watched him prune the ribs, amazing! My teacher said that I am a perfect candidate for surgery and I know it totally fits because I hate whiners and when you are in surgery you are under, so perfect!
Crystal and Darlene I don't know how you put up with all that crying and noise! I don't exactly want to work with the dead persei but I know now that I could if need be! I am amazed at how it all works and the details that our Heavenly Father perfected. It truly is outstanding!
So that was my morning, Luke is coming home for lunch, and we have a dentist appointment this afternoon, scouts for Carter and then hopefully some studying intermixed within!
Thanks to those who read all the way to the end, I can't wait for the next extra credit experience! hehe
2 comments:
I thought you said "I'll call you after the autopsy". I suddenly felt like I was in a CSI episode. You're crazy, lady. I guess someone has to be able to do it, huh? You go butthead!
I don't know why I didn't see this post until now, but YES, you'd be a great surgical nurse! That really is a cool experience...I'm fine with the whole working with dead people stuff (it's what I do) but I can't do the incision-bloody-surgery stuff...in truth, I almost passed out in watching a c-section during nursing school! That, and I freaked out on the table during my own!:) But I'm SOOO glad that there are great girls like you that will be excellent in surgery. And I think your holding a human heart is really rad.
Post a Comment